To function as a:
- Medical society – networking clinical practitioners (specialists and GPs) and clinical researchers in Australia involved in the care of the mito community.
- Clinical trials network – for clinical researchers, clinicians and patients aiding the development of emerging therapies and diagnostics as well as assisting in the translation of knowledge into best practice.
- Advocacy Group – advocate for best practice to the innovative industry sector, to government for better funding and awareness and to medical/academic bodies to improve education and management around mitochondrial disease.
- Centralised mitochondrial disease medical resource – publication of consistent, current, reliable, evidence based clinical information, guidelines and best practices drawn from Australian and international sources. MMN will make available on this website and disseminate via a variety of media, links to other well-recognised mito organisations and the coordination of educational workshops.
- Point of Contact – via the website – to assist with GP, allied health professional and specialist enquiries and provide support to mito sufferers and carers.